Buxton Fire Brigade

100% Volunteer

Planning a Burn?

Buxton Fire Brigades supports the Murrindindi Shire Council’s free green waste recycling system and, while Local Laws permit small burns outside of the prescribed Fire Danger Period, we encourage residents to take green waste to the Marysville Transfer Station rather than conduct a private burn at your property. All too often, local CFA brigades are called to private burns when the fire gets out-of-control or impacts other properties.

At times, escaped private burns have impacted Crown Land or Plantations, requiring the attendance of crews from either Forest Fire Management Victoria or HPV Plantation. Escaped private burns may involve Victoria Police; regardless of being inside or outside the Fire Danger Period.

FFMV and CFA at escaped Private Burn
Out-of-Control Private Burn
Escaped Private Burn

If you decide to conduct a Private Burn…

If you decide to conduct a private burn, you need to be aware of the following points:

Register your burn-off

To notify ESTA of your planned burn:
Online (Preferred)
Register online on the Fire Permits Victoria website. Only available if submitted at least two hours before the burn is ignited.
By Phone
If you wish to start your burn-off immediately, or do not wish to utilise the online form, you may register your burn-off by calling ESTA on 1800 668 511, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
National Relay Service
Users can ring 1300 555 727 and ask for Information to be relayed to ESTA via 1800 668 511
By Email
Complete the Burn off Notification Form and email the form to burnoffs@esta.vic.gov.au.
They will need:
  • Location;
  • Date and expected start and finish times;
  • Estimated size; and
  • What you intend to burn.

Unregistered burn-offs can cause brigades to be called out unnecessarily. These incur the risk of a fine or payment.